Trends to Watch in 2021
As COVID-19 restrictions start to lift and life, it seems, begins to reestablish a sense of normalcy, 2021 promises to be an exciting year for businesses across the economy.
Almost certainly, however, COVID-19 has permanently altered certain shopping behaviors and consumer patterns. Here we’ll take a look at key 2021 trends and offer some recommendations on how to adapt to this unique year.
- Ecommerce has been forever boosted. 49% of consumers have confirmed that they will continue shopping online even after the outbreak is over and done with. Across most categories, there has been a 19-20% increase in online shopping.
- There are 7.4MM new digital buyers, with older consumers most prominent amongst the converts.
- The average shop-time on digital has increased 12% since 2019
- 46% of customers have made purchases with new retailers during the ongoing shutdowns across the US.
These changes make it abundantly clear—the pandemic shifted shopping in favor of digital like never before. If you sell online, now is the time to do everything you can to adapt and take advantage of this shift.
At Gen3, we have our finger on the pulse of consumer markets, so we can identify trends quickly and categorize them as paths for client growth. Have a close look at these notable 2021 trends:
- D2C brands will hit stiffer competition from established brands.
- In-store sales momentum will drive gains for big-box retailers.
- Digital fitness will emerge as a mega-trend led by aspirational brands.
- Next-gen/Global marketplaces will leverage scarcity to forge new opportunities.
- “Buy now, pay later” options will hit an inflection point amid strained consumer budgets.
- Prime Day will move back to early summer.
But it’s not just our job to identify trends. Gen3 is here to give you recommendations on how to meet current trends with growth-oriented strategies, staying ahead of your competition and making the most of tactics suited for the moment. Here are some tips to fit these 2021 trends.
- Drive new customer acquisition via personalized messaging by publisher (i.e. exclusive offers, vanity codes, VIP shopper discounts).
- Invest in content recruitment and media exposure to ensure you are in front of shoppers looking for recommendations and an emotional connection.
- If you aren’t doing so already, make sure to work with publishers across all parts of the funnel in order to provide greater opportunities to connect with and showcase your brand.
- Consider incentivizing BOPIS (buy online, pick up in store) purchases, target shoppers with unique in-store offers, and work with publishers with advanced geo-targeting capabilities.
- Invest in mobile publishers as shoppers are spending more time on their phones.
- Continue to invest in omni-channel strategies to drive in-store transactions via digital channels.
- Consider working with Buy Now, Pay Later publishers to drive up AOV and increase new to file customers.
- Stay competitive by offering a unique promotion to combat Amazon’s Prime Day.
If you’re interested in hearing more about current trends and how they might dovetail into 2022, get in touch with Gen3. We’re always here to keep your affiliate strategies current and operating at max capacity—no matter what new challenges the calendar may bring.
The annual conference, renowned as the largest performance marketing event, sets the tone for the affiliate marketing calendar, and this year was no exception.The Gen3 Marketing team kicked off the year with a bang, at the Affiliate Summit West in Las Vegas. One of...
We are thrilled to announce the much-anticipated return of Gen3's renowned networking event, PareshConnect, to kick off 2024 at the largest performance marketing conference, Affiliate Summit West, in Las Vegas!Reflecting on the success of 2023, PareshConnect marked...
For the eighth consecutive year, Gen3 Marketing is delighted to announce its inclusion among the top vendors in the affiliate marketing category in the Digital Commerce 360 2024 Leading Vendors Report. Formerly recognized as Internet Retailer, Digital Commerce 360...